List of background information for Subject Matter Expert Review:
Focused Studies Occurring in Old Tampa Bay:
- Safety Harbor Sediment Muck Accumulation Study (Partners: USF; Eckerd College; USGS; SWFWMD; Pinellas County; Cities of Clearwater, Oldsmar & Safety Harbor) - (Link to Document)
- Feather Sound Seagrass Recovery Project - Phase 2 (Partners: USF; SWFWMD; FWCC; FDEP; Janicki Environmental Inc.; Pinellas County; City of Tampa) - (Link to Research Summary Document)
- Feather Sound Seagrass Recovery Project - Phase 1 (Partners: SWFWMD; FWCC; NOAA; USGS; Janicki Environmental Inc.; Mote Marine Lab.; Pinellas County; EPCHC; City of Tampa) - (Link to Research Summary Document)
Tampa Bay Loading Model Estimates and Methodologies:
- Latest TN, TP, TSS and BOD Loading Estimates: 2004-2007 (Link to Document)
- Original Loading Estimate Methodolgies and Estimates: 1985-1991 (Link to Document)
Tampa Bay Management and Bay Response:
- Greening, H. and T. Janicki. 2006. Toward Reversal of Eutrophic Conditions in a Subtropical Estuary: Water Quality and Seagrass Response to Nitrogen Loading Reductions in Tampa Bay, FL, USA. Env. Man. 38(2):163-178.
- Greening, H., L. Cross, and E. Sherwood. 2010. A multi-scale approach to seagrass recovery in Tampa Bay, Florida, USA. in K.A. McGraw and R. M. Thom, (eds). Restoration and Protection: Are We Having An Effect?. Ecological Restoration, In Press.
Tampa Bay Empirical Development of Critical TN Loads and Chlorophyll-a Targets:
- Estimating Critical Nitrogen Loads for the Tampa Bay Estuary: An Empirically Based Approach to Setting Management Targets. 1996. Technical Publication #06-96 of the Tampa Bay National Estuary Program. Prepared by Coastal Environmental, Inc. (A.J. Janicki and D.L. Wade).
Summary of Available Data and Modeling Resources:
- Data types, period of record, and agencies collecting information (Link to Document)
- Model-types used currently or historically in the Tampa Bay watershed (Link to Document)
- USF/NOAA PORT System for Tampa Bay (Tampa Bay Nowcast-Forecast System Website)
- Additional data sources and descriptions can be viewed on the Tampa Bay Estuary Atlas Website
Pyrodinium bahamense var. bahamense blooms occuring in Old Tampa Bay:
- TBEP Technical Advisory Committee Meeting Update (August 13, 2009): (Link to Meeting Presentations) (Link to FWCC 2008 OTB Fish Kill Website)
- Badylak, S., E. Phlips, P. Baker, J. Fajans and R. Boler. 2006. Distributions of phytoplankton in Tampa Bay Estuary, U.S.A. 2002-2003. Bulletin of Marine Science. 80(2):295-317.
- Phlips, E., S. Badylak, E. Bledsoe and M. Cichra. 2006. Factors affecting the distribution of Pyrodinium bahamense var. bahamense in coastal waters of Florida. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 322:99-115.
Pertinent Proceedings from Tampa Bay Area Scientific Information Symposia (BASIS 1 -5; 1982 - 2009):
- The Circulation of Tampa Bay Driven by Buoyancy, Tides and Winds, and Its Connection with the Adjacent Gulf of Mexico. L. ZHENG & R. H. WEISBERG (USF). Tampa Bay Flushing Animation (© Weisberg, USF 2009). Presentation given at the 5th Bay Area Scientic Information Symposium.
- ESTIMATED NITROGEN FLUXES AND NITROGEN-CHLOROPHYLL RELATIONSHIPS IN TAMPA BAY, 1985-1994. G. Morrison, A. Janicki, D. Wade, J. Martin, G. Vargo, R. Johansson. BASIS 3 Paper Submission.
- HIGH-RESOLUTION GEOLOGIC INVESTIGATIONS IN TAMPA BAY: SOURCE, DISTRIBUTION AND ACCUMULATION RATES OF FINE-GRAINED, ORGANIC-RICH SEDIMENTS IN SAFETY HARBOR, FLORIDA . G.R. Brooks & R.A. Larson. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- NITROGENOUS ORGANIC MATTER ACCUMULATION IN SAFETY HARBOR, FLORIDA: SOURCES AND DECADAL-SCALE TRENDS. E.B. Peebles, A.M. Hoare, E.M. Malkin, G.S. Ellis & D.J. Hollander. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- LONG-TERM AND SEASONAL TRENDS IN PHYTOPLANKTON PRODUCTION AND BIOMASS IN TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA . J.O.R. Johansson. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- AN INTEGRATED OBSERVING AND MODELING SYSTEM FOR TAMPA BAY. M. Luther, S. Meyers, S. Gilbert, V. Subramanian, L. Wetzell, J. Scudder, M. Vincent & D. Burwell. BASIS 4 Paper Submission.
- TRENDS IN NITROGEN LOADS TO TAMPA BAY FOR 1985 – 2007 . P.A. Vaas & A. Janicki. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- TWENTY YEARS OF TAMPA BAY SEAGRASS MAPPING AND ANALYSES . K.A. Kaufman & M.G. Heyl. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- TRENDS IN TAMPA BAY SEAGRASS: 1998-2008 . W.M. Avery, J.O.R. Johansson, K.B. Hennenfent & J.J. Pacowta. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- REVISITING AND UPDATING OUR KNOWLEDGE ON THE SCIENCE OF TAMPA BAY’S TIDAL TRIBUTARIES: SESSION SYNTHESIS . J.M. Krebs, E.B. Peebles, M.P. Weinstein & R.G. McConnell. BASIS 5 Paper Submission.
- PROGRESS TOWARDS GOALS FOR TAMPA BAY RESTORATION AND PROTECTION . H. Greening, R. Eckenrod & N. Holland. BASIS 4 Paper Submission.
- Full Proceedings of BASIS 5 (October 20-23, 2009) (Links to All Documents)
- Full Proceedings of BASIS 4 (October 27-30, 2003) (Links to All Documents)
- Full Proceedings of BASIS 3 (October 21-23, 1996) (Links to All Documents)
- Full Proceedings of BASIS 2 (Feb. 27- Mar. 1, 1991) (Links to All Documents)
- Full Proceedings of BASIS 1 (May 3 - 6, 1982) (Links to All Documents)
Tampa Bay Seagrass Distribution & Trends:
- Data Summary from the Tampa Bay Interagency Seagrass Monitoring Program Through Year 2008. 2010. Technical Report #01-10 of the Tampa Bay Estuary Program. Prepared by the City of Tampa Bay Study Group (W. Avery and R. Johansson).
- Tampa Bay Interagency Seagrass Monitoring Program Synopsis: 1997-2006. 2008. Technical Report #04-08 of the Tampa Bay Estuary Program. Prepared by the City of Tampa Bay Study Group (W. Avery and R. Johansson).
General Baywide Progress Reports and Environmental Monitoring Updates:
- A Tampa Bay Estuary Program Progress Report 2009.2009. Technical Report #04-09 of the Tampa Bay Estuary Program. Prepared by the Tampa Bay Estuary Program (N. O’Hara).
- Baywide Environmental Monitoring Report, 2002-2005.2006.Technical Report #06-06 of the Tampa Bay Estuary Program. Prepared by the monitoring leads of Tampa Bay. Edited by Janicki Environmental, Inc. (A. Poe).
Other Modeling Efforts in Tampa Bay: